четвер, 30 січня 2020 р.

to say
to tell
- never has a person as an object
- you say smth


say + something
 
 


- you say smth to smb

say + smth + to + smb
 
 



- is often used when you are giving smb's exact words: '
   Sit down', she said. Ann said (that) she was tied. What did he say to you?

- you say smth about  (NOT say about):
   I want to say a few words about my family.

- used with a clause when the person you are talking to is not mentioned:
    She didn't say what she intended to do.

   She said that she was busy.
- usually has a peson as the object and often has two objects:
     Have you told him the news yet?

tell + somebody + something
 
 


   
  I told to him my name. 
  I told my name to him


- is often used with 'that' clauses:
  Ann told me (that) she was tired.

- is used when smb is giving facts or information, often with what, where, when, etc.
Can you tell me when the movie starts?

- is also used when you are giving smb instructions:

tell + smb + to do + smth
 
 


   The doctor told me to stay in bed. OR The doctor said (that) I had to stay in bed.
NOT The doctor said me to stay in bed.

tell a story
tell the time
tell the truth
tell a lie
tell a secret

Speak
Talk
- is little more formal than talk and suggests that smb is using their voice or that one person is saying smth to a group:
  I was so shocked I couldn't speak.
  Could you speak louder?
  A doctor spoke to the class about stress.

speak + a language
 
 

    He speaks Italian.

speak + about / on something
 
 


     Speak on this point, please.

speak  + to /with smb
 
 


is often used in polite requests, for example when you are making a phone call:
     Hello, could I speak to Michael?
     I'd like to speak to / with the manager. 
     (To speak with is more formal)

I’d like to speak to mr.Pitt.
The President refused to speak to the waiting journalists.
How many languages do you speak?


speak for someone
speak up
speak your mind
speak out (about something)
speak up for someone
speak volumes
speak well of someone
this speaks for itself
- is more common in spoken English and usually suggests that two or more people are having a conversation or discussing smth:
    We talked on the phone for nealy an hour.
    John and I habe been talking about
    our  families.

talk + with smb
 
 
                                                        
             more formal than

talk + to smb
 
 


      He refused to talk with / to reporters.


talk + about something
 
 


    They are talking about some problems.



Who did you talk to?
We talked on the phone for over an hour.
What are you talking about?



talk back
money talks
talk down to someone
talk about your job
talk the talk
talk things over
talk tough
talk away
talk nonsense

Немає коментарів:

Дописати коментар

Популярні публікації